Pages

English Português

Dec 12, 2012

Who Doesn't Like Cookies and Knickknacks?

I'm the biggest fan of knickknacks - it's actually one of my given nicknames - and I am a strong advocate of their importance and utility. Nevertheless, I've had these Christmas cookie cut-outs for years and had never used them. It's one of these things you buy because you think they are essential, that it's something everyone has to have. But the truth is that they are only essential if you actually use them! So, this weekend, I decided to prove to myself and to the world just how much I do need my cut-outs. 
Kevin doesn't like dry stuff - so the shortbread recipes were off-limits. On the other hand, I am really not a sugar cookie enthusiast. Looking for a solution that met me halfway, I found a delicious recipe in Deb Perelman's awesome blog, Smitten Kitchen. I was even more encouraged when I saw a picture of her kitchen and discovered that we share the same New York small kitchen situation, a tiny stove and checkered floor. That she can do so much with so little wows me. To me, that's the very definition of being crafty: someone resourceful, who finds solutions where others find discouragement, someone who can make things work by using creativity. That is my favorite thing about craft!

For the recipe, visit Brownie Roll-out Cookies. The directions are clear and pictures are beautiful! I cut the recipe in half and it still made 2 dozen cookies. The dough is very easy to roll-out and cut. Try to move fast and if you have to bake it on shifts, put the remaining dough back in the fridge while you wait. If you are baking it for your own indulgence, and evenness is not a concern, consider varying the thickness of the cookies to see what you like best (the thicker you make it, the more brownie-like it will be). Either way, it will be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment